Expecting our Little Brother in November!

pregnancy calendar

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Old School Sunday: One Entry by Norm and One About Him

If you haven't heard about my new blog series "Old School Sunday", read the back story!

And if you want, catch up on what you missed (read from the bottom up!)

The middle of the spring semester of my sophomore year--we were on the cusp of invading Iraq, the harsh winter was finally ending, and I was dating Norm at the time. Here's a poem by him and a post by me about him (hehe).

10th February 2003
9:42am: Norm's Poem


THE CROSS

The birds
The birds
we've seen them flying
we know they fly south
we wish we could be like them
too cold
go south
that easy
we've seen them flying
flying
flying
in a V
in a W
mostly in V's
for N V
envy
N V how they just fly south
envy
but
butt
buttocks
to interject
these birds
who's northern home
Mirror Lake
most people find disgusting bla bla bla bla bla
these birds
will
not
fly
south
these birds will not fly south
it's been too cold to bear
too cold to speak
too cold to breathe
for months now
but
these birds
will not fly south
Months ago I remember screaming at them
"FLY SOUTH!"
"FLY SOUTH!"
people stared at me as though I was the fool
but
but
I was simply afraid
because
I have always been told
I have always seen
I have always known
That when it gets cold
The Birds
fly south
but
these birds
will not
fly south
some days ago
a friend of mine expressed the same concerns
why?
why?
won't the birds fly south?
don't they get cold?
there's hardly any non-frozen lake left bla bla bla bla bla
and then
just days ago
I was told of the one
the one
and today
in passing
I saw the one
feet planted straight
back fully bent back fully bent back fully bent back fully bent back
only feet away from the small pool
where the birds
who still do not fly south
swim
and chant
head and wings on the cold surface
crucified
it died
in glory
and the name of order
and madness
and the hammer that smashes them both
like cracking ice


5:56pm
Current Mood: dichotomous


I don't even know what I want to say.

Complacency causes laziness <--- in Psych, we call this a directional theory. As in, you have to prove not only that complacency and laziness are related, but that one CAUSES the other. With that said. Complacency is what I think of as the Lack of a "fear factor". A fear factor, in my mind, is the fear that the person that you love will fall out of love with you. The fear factor causes people to get up in the morning to brush their teeth, so when their lover kisses them in the morning, they get a fresh clean mouth. The fear factor causes people to watch their weight, to shave, to shower, to dress nicely, to speak nicely, to do favors, to be attentive, etc etc etc. Complacency is the comfortableness of the lack of a fear factor. Complacency is knowing that your lover will not leave you--they love you too much. Complacency in itself is not bad. But what is bad is that without the FEAR FACTOR, people get lazy. I'm not saying I am not guilty of this. I am. But with all that said: SHAVE NORM YOU MOTHERFUCKER

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha!!! this is hilarious!

justadrienne said...

You probably can appreciate it more than most, Mariclare, haha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...