Expecting our Little Brother in November!

pregnancy calendar

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Never Sleeping in Ever

That was the thing I was least prepared for. I have ONE opportunity for nearly uninterrupted sleep per day, from 8/9 until 5,6,7ish. If, on nights like tonight, I miss my opportunity---well, I'm screwed basically.

One of my best friends, Jessie, is visiting for the weekend and her birthday is today.

So last night (i.e. almost 12 hours ago now), we had a surprise party for her at Clare's house! But the surprise was just how many people we invited. Jessie expected to see a few local friends but saw many friends, a bunch all the way from Boston, New Haven . . . some of the people were old friends of mine from way back . . . I know and love them all so well.

And as I got to here in my blog post I realize I don't care about staying up all night. I'm going to go to bed soon and feed James then, and hope that he sleeps until 8 after that and I get four hours of sleep. And it kind of sucks, but it was worth it to have so much fun with all my friends.

And we did--we brought James and he got to meet a bunch of new people and he got held and played with by everyone. At 7:30 we swaddled him up and I fed him and laid him in the middle of my friend's bed, hehe, and he fell asleep right there like that. At midnight I woke him up (let him visit quickly with everyone again, hehe), then fed him, and his Daddy took him home. And I got to hang out and reminisce and catch up with old friends, and got to know some new friends better.

It was really really nice. I love my friends. So it's worth it to have a sleepless night.

But yeah, NEVER being able to sleep in or "catch up" throws me off. I used to be able to stay up late and just sleep late then! Well, no more, LOL.

8 comments:

mpence said...

It does get easier in this aspect! DH was working until 4 am, he will sleep in as long as he needs. I am up with everyone now (except Serenity who sleeps in these days!)

Likewise, if I have a particularly bad night, he will get up with everyone and let me sleep in! There is hope - it is hard with a nursling though!

Ash said...

Just remember that once you stop nursing around the clock it gets a lot easier:) Now DH and I sometimes take turns sleeping in on the weekend that way I do get the chance to sleep in again!

mpence said...

Also, as they get older, these times of NEEDING to be up as soon as he is goes away...

My twins are now able to get everyone up, changed/potty'd, fed and the day started if I have had a particularly rough night!

justadrienne said...

Thanks guys! I know it's only temporary and I shouldn't even complain since he sleeps so good at night. I definitely miss that Sunday Morning Sleep in though. :(

mpence said...

Then you just bring him into bed with you - it is even better than sleeping in!

Some of our very favorite mornings are those that all of our children climb in bed with us in the morning :)

mpence said...

Though it isn't as restful as actually sleeping in, lol!

justadrienne said...

I do sometimes have "awake-in" mornings, haha, I might not be actually asleep but I'm just snuggling in the bed with James and then if I get him to fall asleep in the bed with me a lot of times I can fall back asleep myself for a little while! It is a very nice sweet time with the little one.

Ella said...

Oh I soooo hear you on this, Adrienne! I'm right there with you - I VERY MUCH miss my sleeping in on the weekends. I was a huge sleeper before baby, and I really do require a lot of sleep.

I am happy to report that now that E is a bit older, I am able to sleep in one if not both weekend mornings thanks to DH, who takes her out for breakfast and to run errands with him or go to the park or something. It's a fun time for daddy and baby, and mama sleeps in, so it's a win-win-win! :) Hopefully big James can do that when little James gets a bit older and you can start sleeping in once in a while!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...